A notice will be given that applications are being accepted for police officer positions. Applicants must be 21 years of age and Act 120 trained. All applicants will fill out an application form and be notified of the date and time of the civil service exam. Applicants must receive a 70% or better on the written civil service exam in order to continue in the selection process. The next step is an oral interview with a review board. Before final appointment, applicants must pass a physical agility test, medical test, a psychological evaluation, and a criminal history background check. Civil Service Exam scores are good for one year from test date.
Entry-level salary for a certified officer is $45,385.60 or $21.82 an hour.
- Medical Insurance: Medical insurance is provided for officers and their families.
- Vacation: 80 hours from date of employment to the end of the 5th calendar year. 120 hours from the beginning of 6th year to the end of the 15th calendar year. 160 hours from the beginning of 16th calendar year.
- Sick Leave: Eight hours of sick leave per month.
- Personal Leave: 96 hours of personal leave per year.
- Retirement: Eligible for retirement at age 50 with 25 years of service.